Building Settlements in Fallout 4 is necessary. Some will love it, some will hate it. He're is how you do it:
1. Use the Workshop and clean up the place. Not only because we like it tidy, we also need the building material.
2. Settlers need to sleep. Build beds preferably under cover. Who wants to sleep in radioactive storms, without a shed.
3. Build a water source. Select the water pump and place it on dirt.
4. Settlers are hungry. Find plants in the wild or pick the plants in the settlement to build new patches.
5. Call the Settlers! Go to the building setting "Power" build a generator, a beacon and connect those two. Don't forget to switch on the becon. Red lamp means it is active.
6. Wait for the settlers to move in.
7. Build up defense!